201129 jul

Sprint SmartView works in 64-bit mode on Mac OS X Lion

Not the most exciting of topics to resurrect this blog, but I hope this is helpful.

Background

I’ve been a Sprint mobile broadband customer for many years. Mobile broadband on my laptop is a godsend – flaky cafe wifi, Caltrain, airports, buses, roadside or camping emergency bug fixes, remote areas, hotels, new apartments – there are many situations where either wifi is unavailable, inconvenient, or expensive.

Some time last year, Sprint partnered with Clear and began offering WiMAX higher speed mobile broadband under the overloaded “4G” moniker. I’ll spare you the story here, but I ended up with a heavily discounted 3G/4G package, so I now have a U301 device and use both networks. Unfortunately, the 4G network has serious shortcomings – it takes several minutes to get a signal and connect, and isn’t as fast as it should be. That said, my plan has unlimited 4G and it is faster when it works, though too often it doesn’t and coverage is spotty.

The Problem

TLDR: Mac OS X Lion boots in 64 bit mode by default, rendering the Sprint SmartView crapware necessary to use the Sprint network inoperable. By various reports, Sprint estimates it will be SIX MONTHS before they release a compatible version.

As many Sprint customers who purchased new Macs or upgraded to Mac OS X Lion have noticed, the classic Sprint crapware called SmartView that powers their devices only runs in 32-bit mode. Starting it in 64-bit mode gives the error message “This application has not yet been tested on 64-bit systems. Reboot in 32-bit mode for best results” and you can’t connect.

Since February, all new Macs have booted in 64-bit mode by default, so this has been a problem for some people since then. Beta Lion releases have been available since February. Despite almost every other application vendor timely accommodating the OS upgrade, a Sprint CSR recently complained that they only received 1 day’s heads up about Lion’s release, referring to the official final release announcement. Apparently, Sprint relies on press releases and customer outrage instead of Apple’s excellent developer programs to learn of upgrade incompatibilities, otherwise they would have fixed this 4 months ago.

The Solution

For reasons unclear to me the “Run in 32 bit mode” checkbox is not available in the Get Info for SmartView. It’s possible to get a 3G connection by dumping SmartView (ahhh) and using #777 as a phone number in your connection settings, but I’m going for a full on 4G connection.

Despite Sprint’s insistance that they need 6 months to release a solution, all you need to do is upgrade a single library. Thanks to n6mod in EVDOForums for uncovering this solution.

1) Download the Clear Beta Driver for Lion. not the “Mac Driver” – download the “Beta” for Lion. And don’t install.:

2) Install Pacifist, which will make accessing and installing the necessary files easy.

3) Right/control click the Clear driver file and choose Open With > Pacifist.

4) When the Clear driver opens, drill down to Contents of CLEAR Connection Manager.pkg > System > Library > Extensions

5) Right click on BeceemAppleWiMAXAdapter.kext and choose Install to Default Location. Approve any overwrites of installed files.

6) Restart and you should be good to go. Although you will still get the warning, SmartView should work with 4G. Be patient, crapware needs time to think.

It’s going to take six months for Sprint to update this library in their software, so get used to it.

39 responses to "Sprint SmartView works in 64-bit mode on Mac OS X Lion"

1. Ken August 2nd, 2011 17:55 pm

Man – this is exactly what I was working for. I am running Snow Leopard, and following your steps worked. So not just for Lion, it looks like. Thanks for the great write-up – it really helped me out!

2. will August 3rd, 2011 14:13 pm

Thank you so much for this! I thought it was the rain. Cuz I had updated to lion right when the storm hit. Thank you!

3. logan August 4th, 2011 12:39 pm

When I download the clear beta driver for lion, I get a file called “ClearCM_Mac_v2.01.5027.0 2.zip.” When I use Pacifist to open it I get another file called “ClearCM_Mac_v2.01.5027.0 2.zip.cpgz” which Pacifist doesn’t recognize. Seems like I’m unable to extract the Clear Driver file…any suggestion?

4. Alex Neth August 4th, 2011 12:46 pm

@logan – I don’t know sorry. You shouldn’t “get another file” if you are opening it properly with Pacifist. Try Ctrl-Clicking the file and select Open With > Pacifist

5. logan August 4th, 2011 14:47 pm

That’s what I was doing, and when I did I get a message ” The document “ClearCM_Mac_v2.01.5027.0.zip” could not be opened. Pacifist was unable to open the file”

6. Alex Neth August 4th, 2011 23:11 pm

@logan Try downloading. Sounds like you may have a corrupted zip file. Other than that no idea.

7. Sterling August 8th, 2011 09:01 am

Thanks Alex. I’m posting this comment through a 4g connection on OS X Lion. You saved the day.

8. Benji Rogers August 9th, 2011 06:41 am

HI there,
    Thanks for this. When I “drill down to Contents of CLEAR Connection Manager.pkg > System > Library > Extensions”
    I am not seeing System – the next thing I see is “Install CLEAR connection manager…”
    Can you help?
    Thanks so much
    Benji

9. Sterling August 9th, 2011 11:45 am

One issue I noticed. With this fix, I can get 4G on my local computer, but internet sharing of the 4G connection no longer works like it used to. I can share 3G connection, but 4G won’t share.

10. Alex Neth August 9th, 2011 11:55 am

@Benji – Not sure. Make sure you followed the instructions precisely and downloaded the right library.

11. Brooks August 10th, 2011 09:01 am

Works like a charm! Thanks for posting the solution.

12. Kristopher August 10th, 2011 12:36 pm

This worked like a charm, thank you so much!

13. kevin August 11th, 2011 20:37 pm

I’m not able to see the “System” file either. In the contents of CLEAR Connection Manager.pkg i see archive.bom, archive.pax.gz, info.plist, pkginfo, and Resources. No system file anywhere. Any advice? Followed the instructions perfectly.

14. Alex Neth August 12th, 2011 10:15 am

@kevn – Sorry I don’t know. Try downloading the file again and be sure it’s the correct beta version.

15. Joe Balls August 15th, 2011 18:00 pm

Dope. My stuff works again. What’s funny is that sprint sublets there 4G from clear wire anyways. Maybe somebody from clear wire is holding out. How hard is it to put the new driver into an update.

16. ted August 16th, 2011 05:03 am

thanks for taking the time to share this nugget – it did the trick. i like your site BTW. have a good one.

17. Chad Arimura September 7th, 2011 11:55 am

Rad it works. Thing is, it’s really slow now. Anybody else have that issue? Speedtest is showing .11 megs. I’ve got full bars and a PRL update – based out of San Francisco, CA.

Thoughts?

Chad

18. Eric Knustrom September 13th, 2011 11:17 am

any chance the package has changed? Like a few others I downloaded the beta package from CLEAR, opened it with Pacifist and drilled down, but there is no “system” folder to drill down in. All that is available is “contents” and there is nothing remotely like what is described above in any of the folders available.

19. Kenneth September 19th, 2011 21:11 pm

Open the contents of Archive.pax.gz.. The files are in there.

20. Jim September 25th, 2011 01:49 am

Interesting… I’ve never had a problem getting SmartView to work under Lion, but never realized 4G might be an issue. So I tried this fix and got everything installed according to the directions. Package downloaded fine and contents were as described here.

Figure I can just remove the app from LoginItems to hide the message for now.

21. Bill O'Keefe September 29th, 2011 03:29 am

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

22. Getting a Sprint 250u card working in OS X Lion | The Bloody Toe September 29th, 2011 09:52 am

[…] I used this article. This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink. ← “Fixing” Dad’s computer […]

23. Chris October 19th, 2011 11:24 am

I was able to get 3g to work with my u600 but when trying to connect to 4g states mobile radio off. Any suggestions?

24. Alex Neth November 1st, 2011 10:53 am

I often need to kill SmartView and/or remove the card. And it sometimes takes several minutes to connect to 4G – be patient.

25. Bentley November 3rd, 2011 20:10 pm

Thank you! It works!

26. MJ November 7th, 2011 18:58 pm

That worked. Thanks. Now it’s *November* and Sprint still hasn’t fixed this.

27. Jude November 13th, 2011 02:06 am

@Logan & @Benji- You are almost there, you just need to add 1 more step in order to get the files Alex is pointing us to- open the “ClearCM_Mac_v2.01.5027.0.zip” and the following opens up: “Install CLEAR Connection Manager.mpkg”. Now, right click on “Install CLEAR Connection Manager.mpkg” and go back to step 3 and choose Open With > Pacifist and continue w/ his other directions.

28. Ms Young November 29th, 2011 03:52 am

This worked!!! Thank you so much. Instructions were clear and perfect… Thank you so much!!!

29. Chris December 21st, 2011 15:50 pm

Anyone else getting kernel panics when you unplug/replug in your card? Happens to me every single time.

30. IC January 17th, 2012 12:22 pm

Jude – That was exactly the step I was missing. Thanks!

31. Shawn January 31st, 2012 10:00 am

@Chris—I am also getting kernel panics every time I unplug/replug in my card! Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated!

32. David February 5th, 2012 14:47 pm

Not sure if anyone else is seeing this but I get an error: [Error 67] Authentication Error – this work around was great but somewhere along the line started getting this error. Can not trace it to a system update or a particular day/time. Sprint support has assured me it is not a network issue and that my device profile is correct.

33. MED March 16th, 2012 11:09 am

This was most helpful! I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out, so thank you thank you for sharing. Too bad the sprint people aren’t just offering your workaround!

34. Mohammad Husain March 26th, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks a lot. It fixed my 3g connection problem with Lion.

35. Bugs Nelson April 18th, 2012 12:09 pm

April 18, 2012 – After speaking at length today with Sprint about this 64 bit issue with my (QualComm CDMA) Franklin U301 device incompatibility with Mac OX Lion, we discovered that installing the SmartView software for a Merlin CC208 has the code to allow it to connect as it did before the update to Lion.

36. hkaye June 11th, 2012 09:51 am

I went through all the steps and when I go to open the file it says that the installation is not complete. What do I do next?

37. Alex Neth June 11th, 2012 10:17 am

Sounds like a something went wrong in your original installation. Re-install.

38. Nima November 7th, 2012 20:05 pm

I see the kernel panic page as well. every time! when I plug it in…

39. Brian January 5th, 2013 09:06 am

hey guys, does anyone still have this file? I used it on my macbook air two years ago. I just got a new macbook pro and well the driver wont install and clear says they dont support lion anymore….

I didnt save the beta dmg and now i am desperately searching for it. I’m hoping someone here has the file still!